Friday, June 17, 2005

The Slow Boat to St. Paul

I'm currently on a dialup connection in St. Paul, Minnesota, the city I (sort of) grew up in. I haven't been here for 16 years, but, somehow, according to what foggy memories I have of it, it hasn't really changed. I mean, they built a monolithic tribute to consumerism called the mall of America (complete with an indoor amusement park) but, other than that, a lot of the city is still how I (very faintly) remember it.

I've been spending the last couple days in the back seat of a minivan, driven around by my parents, and seeing the people who used to play with me when I was about 7. I seriously almost feel like a kid again. There are only so many times you can hear stories about the time you were 5 and proudly told the waiter in the chinese restaurant that you didn't speak any chinese. I mean, it's kind of cool that all these people still remember you, but seriously, I'm almost 24. It's been a long, long time, people.

This whole trip is leaving me really disoriented. I just don't know how to react to all this. I suppose it's good seeing these places, and walking these streets, but, on the other hand, it's really, really, really weird. What do you say to the people who used to be an integral part of your life when you were a totally different person? I seriously have no clue.

I'd show you guys pictures, but this dialup connection is really slow. Next stop: Orlando. Disneyworld will probably be much less awkward.

9 Comments:

Blogger None spewed forth...

wah orlando...

pity no pix...

u know i have never been to the states...never been. Sigh.

18/6/05 00:03  
Anonymous Anonymous spewed forth...

yo, yah man cheers mate. Same for me, it's always tough figuring out wat to say to ppl who used to be an integral part of my life and whom I don't seem to know that well anymore.

18/6/05 02:40  
Blogger Green Ogre spewed forth...

Nelson Mandela once said "It is a wonder to return to a place unchanged, only to lknow how much you have changed."

Or something to that effect. Can't recall the exact quote.

Still I think it must've brought back some good memories. Enjoy your trip to Disneyworld. Cheers.

18/6/05 16:30  
Anonymous Anonymous spewed forth...

this blog sux... theres no pics

18/6/05 20:35  
Blogger J Schnorng spewed forth...

9: got pics lah...just must wait till i get to a connection fast enough to post them. hopefully, this will be sooner rather than later, but i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you.

gab: wah, how's life in sg, man? you go to japan too early already this year lah...i want to go in july, but at this rate, i'm probably only going to go much, much later in the summer. never mind lah - we'll chill out in singapore.

ogre: yeah, well, i suppose there's something like that going on here; i've definitely changed a lot since i was, say, eight. it's not so much the good memories, as the fact that this is, ultimately, a much cooler place than i remembered - the people are really, really nice here. it's bizarre.

mickey d: no, you suck. poop on you, mickey d.

19/6/05 00:36  
Blogger Gabrielle spewed forth...

hey I miss all ur funny posts...

i've nv been to america... eh waiting to see all your pictures soon!

19/6/05 01:51  
Blogger None spewed forth...

ookk! =)

19/6/05 08:53  
Blogger Green Ogre spewed forth...

Bizzare place? As in Twin Peaks? Heh, just kidding.

19/6/05 21:01  
Blogger J Schnorng spewed forth...

gabrielle: yeah, i know, my blog sucks now. what to do? i'm on holiday. as for pictures, those are notoriously prone to cock up. what to do?

9: yah. whatever.

ogre: twin peaks? that one set in minnesota meh? more like fargo, except without the super kua zhang accents.

20/6/05 00:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home